Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Toomer's oaks poisoner says he wants forgiveness

Auburn,Al.Harvey Updyke, the man accused of poisoning the historic oak trees at Toomer's Corner in downtown Auburn, made a tearful and apparently unscheduled radio appearance Wednesday in which he apologized to Auburn fans but once again stopped short of admitting guilt.

Harvey Updyke

Updyke told radio host Paul Finebaum that he had been told to make a living will and "get right with God" due to persistent health problems.
"This is not a publicity stunt," he said. "The way things have been going, I just need to do it. I may live to be 100, but I may not live to the rest of this week."
Updyke was indicted in May on two counts of criminal mischief, two counts of desecrating a venerable object and two counts of a state law that includes making it unlawful to damage, vandalize or steal any property on or from an animal or crop facility.
His trial is tentatively scheduled for late October, although it's very unlikely to happen then and might not occur until next year. A Sept. 21 hearing in the case was postponed because his lawyer had a conflict.
On Wednesday, Updyke said he was sorry, particularly to "true Auburn fans," not "haters."
"I just want to tell the Auburn people that I'm truly sorry for all the damage I've done," he said. "I'm not asking for sympathy. All I'm asking is forgiveness...I want the people that's Christians to understand I've done a lot of good in my life. I've never intentionally hurt anybody...until this."
"Until poisoning the trees?" Finebaum suggested
"Paul, you know I can't say that," Updyke replied.
An Alabama fan who has worn crimson ties to court appearances, Updyke has acknowledged calling the Finebaum show using the moniker "Al from Dadeville" and bragging about tree poisonings, but he has stopped short of a full confession.
That didn't change today. Updyke signed off abruptly, saying "I guess I've said enough. I guess I've done enough damage."
He did not add the customary "Roll, damn Tide" that has accompanied each of his previous radio appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment